12/16/08

Quality Time with my kids

I am an avid reader. I love to read and I know how important reading is, especially to children.  A great way to spend time with your kids is to read to them or with them.  My boys are 8 and 14 now, but still love for me to read to them.  Of course the books I read with them are different than when they were toddlers.  Now they are at the age that I can read classics like Huckleberry Fin or Tom Sawyer.  These books are amazing but not easy to get your child into unless that is, you read it to them.  We've already read those two so now we are reading another great book by Kate DiCamillo called The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.  It is about Edward, a china rabbit who is very self absorbed and his owner a sweet girl by the name of Abilene.  Abilene loves Edward but Edward has a lot to learn about love.  We are only on chapter 9, we read a few chapters a night.  It is a great way to wind down after a busy day.  It's a really great way to transform the events of the day to a more calming and soothing time for you and your children.  It's especially nice for us this time of year when we cuddle up in our big arm chair by the Christmas tree and read.  Try it, it will be a lasting memory for both you and your child, guaranteed.  

No comments: